SatNOGS project is a complete platform of a open satellite ground-station network. The scope of the project is to create a full stack of open technologies based on open standards , and the construction of a full ground station as a showcase of the stack.
SatNOGS provides the basis for:
- Bulk manufacturing and deployment of affordable Satellite Ground Stations
- Modular design for integration with existing and future technologies
- A platform for a variety of instrumentation around Satellite Ground Station operations
- A firm platform for a Ground Station collaborative network (one to one, one to many, many to many)
- A community based approach on Ground Station development
- A solution for massive automation of operator-less Ground Stations based on open standards
SatNOGS is a modular and scalable stack for Satellite Ground Station implementation. Fully based on open source technologies and open standards, it provides interoperability with existing or future subsystems.
A Global Management Network is the key part of our stack, connecting multiple observers with multiple ground stations enabling tracking and monitoring of satellites from multiple locations around the world. The data gathered will be publicly accessible through the network website.
SatNOGS project is implementing the above general stack design using 4 different sub-projects.
SatNOGS Network – Our observations, scheduling and discovery server
SatNOGS DB – Our crowd-sourced suggestions transponder info website
SatNOGS Client – An embedded system that receives the scheduled operation from Network, records an observation and sends it back
SatNOGS Ground Station – The actual ground station instrumentation with tracker, antennas, LNAs and connected to Client.
You can choose the configuration you want, re-using existing hardware:
The following System Design visualization depicts all subsystems of a reference implementation of a SatNOGS Ground Station.
A rendering of the finalized ground station (with front cover open) can be seen here: